Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A Week on a Battlefield

June 30, 2007

I’ve been in Kenya for a week now and it has been a rollercoaster time. God is doing some amazing things but we are definitely on Satan’s radar. Nathan and I spent our first day in Kenya up north in the town of Kijabe on the Rift Valley. We had a wonderful time of visiting family and catching up with old friends. Saturday evening we flew down to Mombasa and sent our luggage down to the coast in Smiddy’s (my future in-laws) car. Since the driver, Denis, was a close friend and a member of Crossroads church we thought our car and luggage would be safe with him. However, halfway into the 8 hour drive, Denis was hijacked and the car was stolen along with all our luggage. Clothes, camera equipment, and all the toys and materials we had brought with us for the orphanage kids... all gone. We got word on Saturday night about the incident and started praying. God was gracious. Although he was shook up, Denis had not been injured. And although it is an inconvenience to now be in Africa for three months without our possessions, it’s only material. Danger is all around us is this world; it’s found in Africa, the Middle East, Los Angeles, and even Mesa, Arizona! It is not safe to drive on the Nairobi-Mombasa road at night but unfortunately Denis drove anyway. Some things are just not worth the risk and safety is one of them. Rest assured the Huruma team will NOT be doing any travel at night. But it is still a good reminder that our every moment belongs to the Lord’s will.

The next day was Sunday and not just any Sunday but the 5th anniversary for Crossroads Fellowship Church. This is a church that was started with only 4 people meeting in a storefront. After a year they grew to 200 people and moved to a hotel to meet. This past Sunday they had 605 people and are putting the final touches on their own church building. Sunday’s service was an incredible time of looking back and reflecting on all the blessings God has given to the church, the congregation, and the outreach ministries they have started!

Monday I received call from a good friend of mine here in Mombasa. Some plans she and I had been arranging had fallen through and she was publically blaming me. Because she is a youth leader at Crossroads the situation went before the deacon board and she was reprimanded by not being allowed to do youth ministry this term. The entire situation was wounding to me since she is a friend and I trusted her. To top it off, she was my main contact here and was supposed to be the representative from Crossroads to take the Huruma team around to the feeding centers and orphanages. So I have suddenly found myself alone to make all the arrangements and preparations for the team. But things are progressing and coming together. I’m so excited for the team to see my Africa and every time I visit the orphanage I think of how it will be for them to see these precious children for the first time! God is good and He is in control!!!

We are right in the middle of helping Smiddy’s pack up and move. They will be returning to Indiana for home assignment on July 15th so Nathan and I have been busy packing and boxing up a lifetime of ministry. In addition to that, we are newly engaged and in Africa, that translates to extremely booked. We have not had a single day since arriving where we didn’t have a lunch and/or dinner date at someone’s home. It is customary to invite the betrothed couple over for a big celebration meal and because Nathan is the pastor’s son at Crossroads and I’m the pastor’s daughter within my parents’ ministry, we have a LOT of people who want to have us over. It is wonderful and such a blessing to be surrounded by people who love us so dearly… but I was not planning on 4 hour meals at people’s homes every day. I’m fighting the line between spending time with people to build relationships and getting “work” done for the team.

Wednesday morning I got some heartbreaking news from the States that a dear friend of mine had been killed in a car accident. She and I worked together last year at the same Tiwi camp that the team will be leading this summer and just before I left she told me how much she had wanted to return to Kenya again this year but God was calling her to remain in Tennessee to work with a children’s outreach. Her name was Jessica, she was 20 year old, and she loved the Lord with all her life.

The devil is definitely out to steal our joy. For every amazing event God has shaped there has been a calamity to heavy the mood. It is a fantastic predicament to be on Satan’s hit list because it means God is being glorified and His work is being accomplished. I am trying to keep that in the forefront of my mind. My quiet time has been getting longer and longer everyday as I count up all blessings I have been given. I am so thankful for your prayers- it is the greatest weapon we have. Please remember the people here involved in ministry. Although the battle continues, we know who the victory belongs to!

Because of His Grace,

Tina

No comments: